SOLOPRENEUR SUCCESS STEP 5

CREATE (and send) EPIC CONTENT TO YOUR AUDIENCE

INTRODUCTION

So far you’ve decided on your business idea, created a platform to host your business,  created a lead magnet, and started building your email list.

Now you need to start creating content and sending it to your email subscribers. But not just any content.

You need to create epic content. 

The reason why is simple: the ultimate purpose of your content is to sell your products or services. And you can’t do that if you’re creating mediocre content.

The content you create needs to meet the following criteria:

  • Related to the Problem You Solve
  • Gives Hope That the Problem Can Be Solved
  • Quality In-Depth Content

Let’s take a look at each of these criteria in-turn

1) RELATED TO THE PROBLEM YOU SOLVE

Remember in Step 1 of this course we talked about how your business exists to solve a problem?

The content that you create needs to be 100% related to that problem.

  • This could be content that shows that you understand why people have the problem.
  • It could be content that talks about your own experience with the problem and how you overcame it.
  • It could be content that shows how to solve the problem.

What matters most is that your content shows that you understand the problem that your potential customers have.

And that you understand the pain that they experience from having that problem. Doing so builds trust and credibility with your potential customers.

And also sets you up to sell your services or products when you’re ready to do so.

2) GIVES HOPE THAT THE PROBELM CAN BE SOLVED

If all you do is talk about the problem but don’t show that it can be solved, your audience is eventually going to abandon you.

You need to give them hope that the problem can be solved. And show that it CAN be solved. 

You can do that in a variety of ways:

  • Talking about your own experience solving the problem
  • Talking about how you’ve solved the problem for other people
  • Talking about a process for solving the problem

You don’t necessarily have to go into a lot of detail (though you can if you want).

The most important thing is that you’re creating hope and showing that you have the expertise to solve the problem. 

Which is important when you try to sell to your solution to your audience.

So make sure that your content includes some information about how the problem can be solved.

3) QUALITY IN-DEPTH CONTENT

When it comes to creating content, make sure that you focus on quality rather than quantity.

One long blog post that examines a problem in depth will serve you far better than 5 blog posts that only superficially discuss the problem.

And never be afraid to give away too much information in your content. 

No matter how much free content you give away, there will still be plenty of people who want to buy your products and services. In fact, most people will be MORE willing to buy from you if you provide quality content and add lots of value to their life.

The reason is quite simple: most people struggle at implementing solutions on their own. They want a service or a product that will make it easier for them to solve their problem.

By sending them quality, in-depth content, you’re going to be at the top of their list when they decide to solve their problem. 

WHAT TYPE OF CONTENT SHOULD YOU CREATE

Now let’s take a look at the type of content that you should create There are 4 different types of content that you can create:

  1. Written
    1. Blog posts
    2. Guides/Ebooks
    3. White Papers
  2. Audio
    1. Solo podcast
    2. Podcast with guest(s)
  3. Videos
    1. Pre-recorded video
    2. Webinars
    3. Live Stream
  4. Visual
    1. Infographics
    2. Slideshow


So which type of content should you create?

That completely depends on what type of content YOU prefer to create and what type of content you’re good at creating.

  • If you like writing, then create written content.
  • If you like speaking, then create audio or video content, depending on how you feel about cameras.
  • If you’re a creative person, then visual content might work best for you.

_____

I also suggest that you choose two of the different types of content to create – one of those will be your primary type of content, the other will be your secondary.

That will keep you from getting burnt out from continually creating the same type of content over and over again. And you will reach a wider audience since people have different preferences for the type of content that they consume.

Make about 75% of your content in your primary content mode and the other 25% in your secondary mode. For example, about 75% of the content that I make are videos that I upload to YouTube. The other 25% are blog posts on my website.

THE EASIEST WAY TO CREATE EPIC CONTENT

Here’s the easiest way to create epic content.

  1. Research the problem that you’re trying to solve. Focus on questions that people are asking about the problem (e.g., in FB groups, in online forums, etc)
  2. Create your own rough draft of how you would answer that question.
  3. Look for other content (videos, blog posts) that attempt to answer the question and add in any ideas that you might have missed (making sure to put things in your own words). 
  4. Go back through and polish your content, adding in a bit of your personal story (if relevant and useful).


That’s it!

Remember, that there are rarely brand new problems which means that you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. Instead, start with what you know, add in a bit of wisdom from other people, and make sure to add in some personal touches

SEND EPIC CONTENT ON AN ONGOING BASIS

Finally, make sure that you are creating and sending epic content to your email subscribers on an ongoing basis. Some of your subscribers may be willing to buy from you right away. 

Others want to know more about you and your business before they buy from you. Or maybe they lack the time and money to buy from you right away.

Whatever the reason…don’t give up on people. Keep sending them epic content and they’ll buy from you when they’re ready to!