SOLOPRENEUR SUCCESS STEP 2
Create Your Primary Business Platform
Now that you’ve decided on the focus for your business, the next step to being a successful Solopreneur is to create your primary business platform.
In other words, where is the primary place that people will go online to find out about your business and what you have to offer?
You have two choices for a primary business platform:
- A website
- A social media channel (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc)
While there are successful online businesses that use a social media channel as their primary business platform, I’m going to be very blunt.
Your primary platform should ALWAYS be your website.
The reason why is quite simple. You control your website 100%.
With a social media platform, you have to abide by their rules (which change all the time).
And they can shut down your business whenever they want. Remember, they care about THEIR business, not yours!.
If you choose a social media channel as your primary business platform, then your business is always at risk and you never truly own your business.
So while there are successful online businesses that use a social media platform as their primary platform, I would NEVER recommend doing that.
BUILDING YOUR WEBSITE
Now let’s talk about building your primary business platform: your website.
If you have the money to pay to have a website built, you can obviously do that. Just remember that you get what you pay for and a quality website can cost thousands of dollars.
On the other hand, if you want to build your website yourself – which is that I do – then I have some great news for you.
Nowadays, building a website on your own is easier than before.
Here are the tools that I recommended for building a website (some affiliate links):
- WordPress – While WordPress has a steeper learning curve than other website platforms, it’s also a LOT more powerful. Personally, I would never build a website on anything except WordPress.
- FastComet Hosting – With WordPress, you will need hosting for your website. FastComet is the hosting that I use on my website. It has a 9.6 rating on HostAdvice and was chosen as their best overall hosting service. Prices start at just $2.95 per month.
- Elementor Website Builder – Elementor is by far the most popular website builder with over 5 million downloads. Elementor is a drag and drop website builder that comes with hundreds of professionally-designed templates that will speed up your website building. You can start with a single site license for only $49/year.
HOW TO DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
Once you’ve chosen the tools to build your website, you will need to design it. This may seem like a daunting process but it’s not.
Here’s the easiest way to design your website.
- Find 3-5 websites that you like, preferably websites that are in a similar niche.
- Look for a template in Elementor that is similar to one of the websites that you like
- Tweak that Elementor template to your liking adding in features from the 3-5 websites that you like. (and deleting any features that you don’t want or need).
Of course, you also want to add in your own words to reflect the unique nature of your business.
By the way, you don’t want to copy a website exactly…just use the other websites to inspire what your own website looks like.
And while the design of your website will depend on the specific focus of your business, almost all websites have the following pages:
- Services and/or Products
So make sure to include each of those pages on your website.
Finally, remember that the initial design of your website isn’t the final design. Websites change all the time so don’t worry about getting your website “perfect” the first time.
Similar to your business idea from Step 1, your goal should be to create a “good enough” website so that you can launch your business.
RECOMMENDED WEBSITE RESOURCES
BTW, if you have any questions about FastComet or Elementor, please let me know. Just drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org